Friday, June 8, 2001

At Last, Conquest

I earned my hoverdriver's license today. I don't have nearly enough money to afford a hovercraft yet, of course, but it's a start.

Another start: I made contact with my high school friend Marvin.

I have fond memories of the time we spent together. Memories I know in my heart are mine.

In high school we were strongly encouraged to join a school club. It wasn't required by the curriculum, but it was expected of us and I knew I'd be seen as lesser if I didn't. I had no interest in the clubs the school provided, but I briefly joined the drama club so as to prove my adequacy.

We rehearsed a 1673 play by Molière called "The Giant Claw". The plot concerned a giant antimatter space buzzard attacking France. I didn't have much enthusiasm to give to my part, but I ended up getting the role of Sally Caldois, the mathematician girlfriend of the protagonist. This was a big part in the play and it utterly wiped me out. I immediately dropped out of the drama club. Being clubless was barely an option, of course, so I decided to start my own.

The school's first paranormal investigation club was born.

At first Mark and I were the only members, but we were eventually joined by a third student named Nathan. He was a pale boy with brown cheeks and rosy eyes.

I don't have the heart to go into what became of poor Nathan, but for the last few weeks of our final year, Mark and I were once again the club's only members. The bond I formed with him may be the strongest I've shared with another person.

Mark, I'm so glad I've found you again. You are my anchor to this world I increasingly find myself drifting away from.